List of Prominent Characters
So, the NL and EN tags are the ones actually used in the story. If it’s listed for both then it’s a shorthand I’m using to note which of the characters is which. Where no name for ‘both’ is included I haven’t used a name for both. (Expect this list to get updated per chapter!)
- Beek (NL), Black Spring/Black Rock (EN), Black Beek (both)
- Stefan (NL), Steve (EN), Ste (both)
- Katherina (NL), Katherine (EN), Kat (both), aka Wylerheks (NL), Black Rock Witch (EN) Wyler Witch (both)
- Jolanda (NL), Jocelyn (EN), Jo (both)
- Timo (NL), Tyler (EN), Tiy (both)
- Oma (NL), Gramma (EN), Granny (both)
- Max (NL), Matt (EN), Maxmatt (both)
- Robert Grim (NL, EN)
- Claire Hamer (NL), Claire Hammer (EN)
- Jens van der Heijden (NL), Warren Castillo (EN), Jenren (both)
- Jasmine Aerendonck (NL), Bammy Delarosa (EN), Jasmy (both)
- The Aerandoncks/The Delarosas, Aerenrosa (both)
- Martijn Winkel (NL), Marty Keller (EN),Winler (both)
- Loes Krijgsman (NL), Lucy Everett (EN), Loucy (both)
- Pieter van Meerten (NL), Pete VanderMeer (EN), Pete van Meer (both)
- Marieke (NL), Mary (EN), Marie (both)
- Laurens (NL), Lawrence (EN), Lau (both)
- Jelmer Holst (NL), Jaydon Holst (EN), Jaymer (both)
- Mirna (NL), Sue (EN)
- Burak Sayers (NL), Burak Şayers (EN)
- Bert Aerendonck (NL), Burt Delarosa (EN)
- Gemma Holst (NL), Griselda Holst (EN), Gemelda (both)
- Kobus Mater (NL), Colton Mathers (EN) Colbus (both)
Whoever is born here, is doomed to stay ’til death. Whoever settles, never leaves.
Welcome to Black Spring, the seemingly picturesque Hudson Valley town haunted by the Black Rock Witch, a seventeenth century woman whose eyes and mouth are sewn shut. Muzzled, she walks the streets and enters homes at will. She stands next to children’s bed for nights on end. Everybody knows that her eyes may never be opened or the consequences will be too terrible to bear.
The elders of Black Spring have virtually quarantined the town by using high-tech surveillance to prevent their curse from spreading. Frustrated with being kept in lockdown, the town’s teenagers decide to break their strict regulations and go viral with the haunting. But, in so doing, they send the town spiraling into dark, medieval practices of the distant past.
In chapter 18: Ste showed the video Tiy shot to the HEX employees and they discuss how the boys responsible must be punished according to the Emergency Decree (which gets howls of outrage because ” This is America!” as opposed to, say, the middle ages. Or probably more accurately given the circumstances Salem, but that was also America, so. You know.
As a content note and trigger warning: This chapter contains police brutality, sexual assault, racist and flashbacks to domestic violence. Not in that order.
Chapter 19 – Scene 1
And in this chapter we have some more changes in people’s names that I’m just not going to bother with because they’re not super-important people. And then there is lots of violence in the way Jaymer is arrested and Gemelda has a fit and Colbus squeezes Gemelda’s breast for no discernible reason because obviously that is what you do when a woman is upset and you want her to do what you want (which is resign from the council, which is fair enough as a thing to ask given how they know she was sacrificing things to the Witch, but wow the way he does it just… Ugh.)
I will… end this section on pointing out that, at this point, Colbus is sexually harassing a woman whom he knows has been raped and whom he knows has just had a flashback to when her abusive (and now dead) husband would beat up and her son and he very deliberately seeks out to harass her sexually. That is the whole point of what he’s doing is to dominate over her to make her do what he wants.
Chapter 19 – Scene 2
Oh, right. This is the “Let’s blame it on the non-white people” scene. As seen from the pov of someone whom we already know is racist.
And beyond that nothing really remarkable happens translationwise. All that’s relevant is that news of the stoning has spread and the townspeople are slowly giving into mass hysteria, as you do.