Hi, everyone! It’s that time again! Monthly news and accountability! Is it July already? What even happened to the time?! I swear it was only March a month ago.
Before I get to everything, though, some news-news. My liveread for Asexualities is going to conclude mid-July and I’ll be taking a break from reading ace academic papers for about a month. In this time, Patrons will get to vote on the individual papers that I’ve got left and I’ll get a break in which to regroup and take stock. At the same time, you’ll see the effects from taking a break from weekly Monday Musing essayage, so effectively, the academics side of Patron is on break for the summer holidays starting July 18!
Anything else will continue apace and I’m pondering other fun stuff. For example: would people like more live reacts to ace and aro fiction as well as the nonfiction? Once the Hugo Awards are concluded I’ll be back to reading non-Hugo things and Mercedes Lackey’s Vows and Honor series is up next because I need it for the aces in fiction video series.
Life And Other Such Important Matters
Oh, boy. Well. Let’s see. So the big thing I had high hopes for didn’t work out. Boo. Considering everyone I told the details about this went “Wow, you really dodged a bullet there”, I’m… conflicted. Listen it was really big and I had massive hopes and, frankly, the fact that it didn’t work out means there is a chance of about 0.00000000000000000001% that I’ll make it to Worldcon this year (or, probably, most any Worldcon), which sucks but is what it is.
Apart from that… otherwise life continues apace. Anxiety continues to be ridiculous and terrible and while I have no problem disclosing I have it sometimes it feels like I need to disclose it to function and that rankles me. My hair is still too short, but at least it doesn’t make me want to scream and cry anymore if I don’t think about it too long.
June was… not the month I’d hoped as a result, but onwards and upwards, right? Surely, if I just keep trying, it’ll get better eventually. I did finally reorganise our glasses into something that does not offend me every time I open the cabinet. (Listen, I live with hoarders and I have made that shelf at least passably useable with minimum hoarder upset. I get to be proud of this because I could rant about it for hours. Like there was this time last year when I discovered a bag of flour with an expiration date of 2009 and yes I know it’s flour and all, but come on. If you haven’t used it in ten years, it is not unreasonable to toss it. But no. No, I’m the unreasonable one.)
June was also the month I watched Good Omens, though, and wow do I have feels just remembering this. FEEEEEEEEEEELS. And, of course, it was Pride month and it was… surprisingly low-key. I think I’ve finally managed to curate my timeline to avoid the most virulent of amisia, so it was honestly the most positive Pride month I’ve ever had.
Oh, look. I actually have things to say. Wow.
The thing about Good Omens that stood out to me most was how incredibly seen I felt. I’d resisted watching it for a while. I had deadlines to stick to! Hugo Nominee material to read! I didn’t have Amazon Prime! I have bad experiences with liking things that are hyped by people talking about it! And then there are the shippers…
- 1/1 polish Sing to Me essay
- 9/4 print format checks
- Publish Your Prince Has Drowned
- 0/10,000 words of fiction written
- 0/12 books read
- 0/1 proper paper section
- 0/1 Good Omens essay draft
- 0/1 intro Miss Fisher draft
- 0/2 discussions of papers in Asexualities
- 19,339/15,000 words of fiction written
- 12/12 books read
- 1/1 proper paper introduction
- 4/4 discussions of papers in Asexualities
This Month’s Fiction Wordcount: 23,597
This Month’s Non-Fiction Wordcount: 14,226
DemiPrincess2: It’s going sloooooooow. But I’m almost at the part where I left off. Just a few chapters to rework and I’ll be back to where I need entirely new material. I’m so excited to get a bit further and ‘resume’ sharing the draft with Patrons!
GO Essay: I have an intro and an outline! This is also… all I have and I need to tweak a chunk of the intro. Hopefully, though, it’ll be in a way that cuts down on the wordcount instead of adding to it. Exciting!
Proper Paper: Aaaaaah! I finally have an intro – I hate it – so now it’s time to consider the body! I’ve got an outline for this, so it’s time for the hard work of reading through everything and making sure I know what and who I want to reference where. (Things my university has not bothered to teach its students despite making “how to write essays” an obligatory class every year: how many citations is the bare minimum for work you want published not just read by your tutor for marking? Is there a standard number of times your paper must refer to related-but-entirely-different topics to be considered? How do you make your paper stick to word length constraints? How terrible is it if you go over them?)
Stand-out Positive Moment
Good Omens exists. Nope. No, sorry. That’s it. That’s the whole positive moment.
This Month on Patreon
- May Newsletter
- Week 23 Update
- 5 SFF Books that Introduce Asexuality Well
- Week 24 Update
- 5 SFF Books that Introduce Aromanticism Well
- Week 25 Update
- To Hear the Breeze Singing: Romance and Sexuality in Becca Lusher’s ‘Sing to Me’ (Yes, technically, this wasn’t on Patreon.)
- Week 26 Update
- Lynn rambles about… Hugo Awards Nominees, Part 3
- Audio: The Bravest Little Engine and the Nethertrain
- Let’s Read! Chapter 10 of Asexualities
- Lynn rambles about… Hugo Awards Nominees, Part 4
- Let’s Read! Chapter 11 of Asexualities
- Let’s Play: King’s Quest 7 #1
- No (Audio) Ramble This Week
- Let’s Read! Chapter 12 of Asexualities
- Let’s Play: King’s Quest 7 #2
- Lynn rambles about… Hugo Awards Nominees, Part 5
- WIP: Good Omens Essay Intro
- Let’s Read! Chapter 13 of Asexualities
- Let’s Play: King’s Quest 7 #3
- Lynn rambles about… Hugo Awards Nominees, Part 6
- Poetry: Ode to a Leader
- Audio: The Bravest Little Engine Learns to Roam
- Let’s Read! Chapter 14 of Asexualities
- Let’s Play: King’s Quest 7 #4
- WIP: DemiPrincess 2 Chapter 6, Part 2
- WIP: DemiPrincess2, Chapter 6, Part 3
- WIP: DemiPrincess2, Chapter 7, Part 1
- WIP: DemiPrincess2, Chapter 7, Part 2
- WIP: DemiPrincess2, Chapter 7, Part 3
How about you? What have you been up to lately? Has anything awesome happened?