Hi, everyone! It’s that time again! Monthly news and accountability!
Life And Other Such Important Matters
August has been… Well, I’m not going to lie. It hasn’t been pretty with family drama taking centre stage. I started the month off, bummed that I couldn’t make it to Worldcon, before settling into vicariously living through the tweets of my friends who did (Hope you all had a good time!) and watching the livestream of the awards only minorly annoyed at the lag involved causing publication livetweets to announce the winners before my stream was done reading out the nominees occasionally.
I finished a short story! That promptly got rejected, but I was expecting that. And then the UK set itself on fire on top of everything else and. Just. Well, I was very glad of the rejection then because apparently one of my coping mechanisms for “the world is on fire” is “share the softest, nicest, kindest, gentlest piece of SFF you can write” and I had that ready to be shared.
Anyway, we keep going on and into September where I will, hopefully finally, get some kind of good news partway through.
Lesbian radical feminists… have done exactly this. We can see in the SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas, for example. We can see it in the way aphobes try to gatekeep heteroromantic asexuals and heterosexual aromantics out of the queer community, the way that bisexual people feel unhappy and unwelcome at Pride events especially if they’re in a perceived m/f relationship, the way that people who are perfectly happy to use ‘gay’ (or even ‘lesbian’) as an umbrella term for the entire community push back against non-homosexual members doing exactly that. We can see it in the way terfs attack and discuss transgender people in general: the way they insist that gender is biological and those who transition are mentally ill.
- The March on Heartful
- 0/12 books
- 1 completed proper paper
- 5,000 words of fiction written
- 13,275/10,000 words of fiction written
- 12/12 books read
- 1/3 proper paper section
- 0/1 intro Miss Fisher draft
This Month’s Fiction Wordcount: 13,275
This Month’s Non-Fiction Wordcount: 11,891
DemiPrincess2: I hate this story. I really do. (I really don’t.) I juuuuuust want to continue writing it without it feeling like I’m pulling teeth.
Stand-out Positive Moment
Look at those lovely and marvellous Hugo wins and nominations this year! My stand-out moment is hands-down the Award livestream and those utterly, utterly amazing speeches!
This Month on Patreon
- July Wrap-up and Week 31 Update
- Week 32 Update
- Discord Book Club
- Asexuality and Aromanticism in History
- Week 33 Update
- Week 34 Update
- We’re on Our Side: Aziraphale and Crowley’s Thoroughly Queer Relationship in Good Omens
- Short Story: The March on Heartful
- Let’s Play: Paws: A Shelter 2 Game #2
- Lynn rambles about… the Hugo Award Nominees Part 11 (The Round-up!)
- Audio: The Brave and True Mister Whiskers
- Let’s Read: Myra T. Johnson’s “Asexual and Autoerotic Women: Two Invisible Groups”
- Lynn rambles about… She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Season 3
- Let’s Read: Rothblum et al’s “The lives of asexual individuals (…)”
- Let’s Criticise: Valerie Solanas’s “The SCUM Manifesto”
- Let’s Play Zork Nemesis #1
- Let’s Read: “A Validated Measure of No Sexual Attraction” by Yule et al
How about you? What have you been up to lately? Has anything awesome happened?