Hi, everyone! It’s that time again! Monthly news and accountability! And… what a month. The world has changed completely within the span of, it feels like, a few weeks. So! Let’s get to it!
Life And Other Such Important Matters
First of all, I have an announcement! I’ve been sitting on this one for ages and ages and I honestly don’t know if tradpub is in any way compatible with my combination of anxiety and impatience, but never mind that, let me announce it.
My essay, “Aromanticism, Asexuality, and the Illusion of New Narratives”, will be published July 28th, 2020 in Luna Press Publishing’s Ties That Bind: Love in Fantasy & Science Fiction! This is a collection of academic papers on, well, love in SFF. This is the paper that took practically all my writing brain in 2019 and I think you’ll find it’s well worth it. This is an exploration of the general way in which aromanticism and asexuality are presented in traditionally published SFF, though you can pretty much trace it through other genres, such as romance, as well.
I’m part of an amazing line-up. You can read Luna Press’s official announcement here and get a glimpse at all the shiny, shiny papers that will be available in this collection. Their titles anyway. Luna Press will be talking about each paper in more detail leading up to the launch, so be sure to keep an eye on their blog and social media for more details on all of these!
Beyond that, life under lockdown is simultaneously much the same and entirely different. Part of this is because I’m an anti-social hermit who already works from home, but, well, let’s just say that since mid-March or so there’s been about three days in which no one has yelled at anyone in total. (I think. I didn’t keep count. I just know it’s more common than before lockdown.) The anxiety and fear has gone down enough that I’m getting some ability to focus back, so I’m aiming to make use of that and try to force myself back into writing reasonable chunks at a time. If lockdown’s going to be good for something in my life, I would like it to be that.
Recenly, Jaymee Mak release a short film called “It’s Not You, It’s Not Me”, which is a short film about a mixed orientation couple navigating their relationship. It’s a film I have… a lot of mixed feelings about myself which I’m trying to sort out, hence this ramble. The short version: While I appreciate what the film is trying to do a lot, I don’t think it quite hits the mark it was aiming for because of resolution. 🙁
[looks at the second half of March and just laughs because the alternative is crying]
- 10,000 words of fiction
- 1 acespec essay draft
- 14 books
- 60% Print edition of Among the Glimmering Flowers
- 3,963/10,000 words of fiction
- 18/14 books
This Month’s Fiction Wordcount: 3,963
This Month’s Non-Fiction Wordcount: 0 (I did some very light editing, but that’s it.)
Covenant3: I’ve inched my way (finally) through the first scene of a new Galactic Covenant story! Huzzah!
Stand-out Positive Moment
Please forgive me if I pick one that is, technically, from April for this monthly round-up. March was… [gestures at lockdown everywhere] But I have a paper coming out later this year! I’ve been sitting on this news for months, which I’m sure I mentioned up above, but truly I am so delighted about this and the company that paper is in and the paper itself. It’s in the company of some well-known academics writing on SFF and I’m so honoured to be part of this line-up.
As for the paper itself, as I’m sure most of you know: I’ve seen and read a number of papers discussing asexuality in fiction (and sometimes criticised them incredibly harshly). To my knowledge this is the first literary paper that looks at asexuality as a spectrum as well as specifically at how different points on that spectrum are portrayed, so. Yes. I am extremely excited about this. [squees]
This Month on Patreon
- March Newsletter
- News: Print Editions Are Back
- Week 10 Round-up
- Week 11 Update
- Week 12 Update
- Weekly Update 13
- Lynn rambles about… The Letter for the King (Netflix 2020)
- Lynn rambles about… Star Trek: Picard S1 E6
- Let’s Read Academics Poll
- Lynn rambles about… February Accountability (and March Anticipations
- Lynn rambles about… Star Trek: Picard S1 E7
- Let’s Read Academics! Poll Results
- Lynn rambles about… It’s Not You, It’s Not Me
- Lynn rambles about… Star Trek: Picard S1 E8
- Let’s Read Academics: Ianna Hawkins Owen’s “still, nothing: Mammy and black asexual possibility”
- Lynn rambles about… Star Trek: Picard Season 1 Episode 9
- Let’s Read Academics: Discussing Brittney Miles’s “Theorizing Conscious Black Asexuality through Claire Kann’s Let’s Talk about Love”
- Lynn rambles about… Star Trek: Picard Season 1 Episode 10
- Story: Kitty
- Let’s Read Academics: Discussing “Patterns of Asexuality in China: Sexual Activity, Sexual and Romantic Attraction, and Sexual Desire” by Lijun Zheng and Yanchen Su
- WIP: DemiPrincess2 Chapter 13, Part 1
- WIP: DemiPrincess2 Chapter 13, Part 2
- WIP: DemiPrincess2 Chapter 14, Part 1
How about you? What have you been up to lately? Has anything awesome happened?